What is Google Algorithm Update?
Google keep changing its search algorithm multiple times a year. For digital marketers, it is very essential to keep themselves updated as per the google latest algorithm updates. Change is constant in the world of SEO, so here we have given a brief overview of some major updates in the history of Google.
Most latest Google Algorithm Updates 2020 Till Date
Check here all Algorithm with release date, purpose of algorithm and facts:
May 2020 Core Update
Google SearchLiaison Confirm that a may 2020 core algorithm update rolling out today.
Check more information – Core Update
Google Featured Snippet Deduping Update
Google Bert update released on January 20, 2020.
Purpose of Google Featured Snippet Deduping Update:
Under this update, google announced that a web page listing elevates only time in the feature snippet which means once a URL showed in the feature snippet, the URL listing for that particular page will remove from the first page.
Important Feature of Deduplication Update:
- This Feature Snippet Duplication update is applied globally.
- Google automatically remove the URL listing for feature snippet from the first page.
- Videos, Interesting finds and top stories are not affected by Deduplication Update.
- Search Console performance reports do not impact by this.
Google BERT Update
Google Bert update released on October 25,2019.
Purpose of Google BERT Update:
Google called Bert Update as one of the biggest changes to Google Search. Bert (Bidirectional Encoder Representations from Transformers). models are used by Google for the better understanding of Search queries. As per the google report, both feature snippets and search ranking impacted by this change.
Major Facts about Bert Update:
- This update analyses search queries but not the web pages.
- on page SEO becomes more important in terms of using words in precise ways
- Give more importance to the On page SEO.
- Google BERT update ignores the website having Sloppy content.
Google Pigeon Update
Google Bert update released on July 24, 2014.
Purpose of Google Pigeon Update:
The purpose is to give more emphasis on improving the ranking of local listing in a search based on two factors I.e Location and Distance. This also affected the search results which shown in google maps. Industry experts described the pigeon update as the largest local algorithms.
Following factors are measured by google before penalizing the site with Google Pigeon Update
- Emphasis on traditional, organic signals
- Emphasis on hyperlocal content
- Emphasis on local SEO basics
- Spam reporting
Google Hummingbird Update
Google Bert update released on August 20, 2013.
Purpose of Google Hummingbird Update:
The main objective of the Hummingbird update is to give more significance on natural language queries which consider context and the meaning of the keywords. Google Hummingbird update permits search engine in improving the semantic search.
How to know if you have been hit by the Hummingbird?
Usually local business owners face a drop down in traffic and also deceases visibility of the website in search engine after getting penalized by google Hummingbird algorithm update.
Google RankBrain Update
Google Bert update released on October 26th, 2015.
Purpose of Google RankBrain Update:
Rankbrain is a major part of Google’s core algorithm, main purpose is to show the most relevant result to search engine queries through the machine learning. It uses machine learning and AI for determining the best results and this characteristic of Rankbrain makes it different from the other google updates
RankBrain has two main roles:
1. Understanding keywords (search queries).
2. Checking how a user gets satisfied and interact with the result. And after understanding what you are asking, it shows the most accurate results.
Google Penguin Update
Google Bert update released on April 24, 2012.
Purpose of Google Penguin Update:
The Google Penguin algorithm’s purpose was to reduce and take the full control over the black hat spamming methods
Basically, if you are doing these two practices then you will be targeted by Google Penguin Update:
- Keyword stuffing
- Link schemes
How to know if you have been hit by the Penguin?
If there’s a big drop in your website ranking and traffic during the date related to the Google Penguin Update then it means you`r website has been affected by Penguin Penalty.
Google Panda Update
Google Bert update released on February 24, 2011.
Purpose of Google Panda Update:
The main objective of Google Panda Update was to recognize the high-quality websites and reduce the existence of low-quality websites from the organic search results of google.
If your website has following a number of issues then there are 100% chances that your website is going to hit by Google Panda Update:
- Thin content
- Duplicate content
- Low-quality content
- Lack of authority/trustworthiness
- Content farming
- Low-quality user-generated content (UGC)
- High ad-to-content ratio
- Low-quality content surrounding affiliate links
- Websites blocked by users
- Content mismatching search query
How to know if you have been hit by the Panda?
The best way to check if your website was penalized by an automatic penalty is to login to Google analytics and review your Google organic traffic. If you see a drop in traffic during the dates that Google released an algorithmic change, then most probably you were hit and that’s the reason that your traffic dropped.
The easiest way to check if your website has been penalized by the Panda update penalty is mention below:
- Login to your Google Analytics account.
- Check your google Organic traffic.
- Seeing a sudden drop in the traffic then the chances are that you have been hit by google panda update.