What is a Preamble?
An introductory statement in a document which describes the objective and philosophy of document is known as a Preamble.
A preamble of the constitution presents the objective of its framers, the history behinds its formation, the principals and fundamental values of the nations.
Check Also – About IAS Exam
Importance of Preamble of Indian Constitution:
Preamble to the constitution of India gives brief idea of following objects:
- Source of our Indian constitution
- Nature of the Indian states
- Date of its adoption
- Statement of its objective
History of Preamble of Indian Constitution
- The principles behind the Preamble of Indian Constitution were placed by Jawaharlal Nehru’s Objectives Resolution which was accepted by the Constituent Assembly on 22nd January 1947.
- Although the preamble to the constitution is not enforceable in court, it states the main aim or principles of constitution
Keywords in the Preamble of the Indian Constitution
- We, the people of India
Meaning of Keywords in the preamble
Sovereign: The term “Sovereign” means India is totally a freely and independent nation and the Legislature of Indian holds the power for enacting laws in the country.
Socialist: The term “Socialist” means the accomplishment of socialist ends through democratic customs.
Secular: The word “Secular” indicates that all religions have equal protection, support, and respect from the state.
Democratic: “Democratic” means the Constitution made a form of government which is by the people, for the people, and of the people.
Republic: The word Republic means that the head of the state will be elected by the people of the india
Justice: The word “Justice” holds three forms: economic, social and political through fundamental provisions and Directive principles.
Liberty: The terms “Liberty” explains the liberty of thought, expression, worship, belief and faith. It also provides freedom from despotism, slavery and discrimination,
Equality: The team “Equality” is used to provide the equal opportunities and status to all the people of our country.
Fraternity: The Term Fraternity promotes the feeling of brotherhood.
More – UPSC Syllabus 2021
Significance of Preamble of Indian Constitution
The meaning and significance of the Preamble is indicated by its components.
- The terms sovereign, secular, democratic, socialist, republic indicates the nature of Indian states.
- The principles of liberty, equality, justice indicates the objectives of the constitution for the citizens of the nation.
- The Preamble of Indian constitution encourages fraternity to maintain the integrity and unity of the nation.
- The Preamble to the Indian constitution also states the date on which the constitution was adopted i.e. 26th November 1949